birding-aus

Spring at last in New England

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Spring at last in New England
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:58:10 +1000
I suppose Spring always comes a bit later here on the Northern Tablelands than
at lower altitudes, but it now seems to be starting in in earnest at last.
Most positive sign is the arrival of the first Sharpies at Dangars Lagoon
(outside Uralla).  I counted 10, but doubtless there are more. The ducks and
coots have also started to return, after reaching a terrible low in June.
Numbers of Shoveler in particular are quite good.  But the usual hoards of
Hoary-Heads are still absent.
Let's hope we also see some of the migrant bush-birds soon. A visit to Emola
Reserve outside Armidale last weekend produced only residents still, though in
fair numbers and with a reasonable spread of species.  Best birds were a pair
of Speckled Warblers and a Little Eagle scouting through the tree-tops.

John Clifton-Everest