birding-aus

Birding trip to Australia RFI

Subject: Birding trip to Australia RFI
From: Steve Preddy <>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:47:29 +0100
Hi

We're planning our first ever trip to Australia this November. A friend has told us he found replies to an RFI on Birding-Aus very helpful when he was planning a trip a few years ago so we thought we'd do the same. Our outline itinerary is at the end of this mail, along with a selection of species we'd particularly like to get some up-to-date advice for. If you live (or go birding) in any of the areas we're visiting and might be able to help with details of good birding sites, suggestions for seeing any particularly tricky species, or any other advice, we'd be really pleased to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Steve Preddy & Martyn Hall, Bristol, UK

-----

Our plans currently shape up as follows:

* Arrive Melbourne end of October and spend a week or so birding in that area
* A Plains-wanderer trip with Phil Maher
* Two or three days out on Kangaroo island
* Fly from Adelaide to Alice Springs
* visit Ayer's Rock, Kings Canyon
* Fly from Alice to Brisbane then drive to Bundaberg
* Two nights on Lady Elliot island
* Drive back south and spend four nights at Lamington NP
* Head south through NSW - no fixed route yet
* The Wollongong pelagic on 26 Nov
* Final few days around Sydney, flying home at the start of December

Birds we're particularly interested in seeing and don't yet have much info about include the following. As this is our first trip to Australia, virtually everything will be new, so even if we see none of these, we'll go home happy, but any info that would help us find any of these birds would be much appreciated:
* Rufous Scrub-bird
* Both lyrebirds
* Regent Honeyeater
* Sooty & Powerful Owls, Aus. Owlet-nightjar, frogmouths
* Rock Warbler, Pilotbird, bristlebirds and any other south-east Australian endemics * grasswrens, fairy-wrens, emu-wrens, treecreepers, sittella, quail-thrushes, whipbirds & wedgebills * Ground, Superb, Regent & Bourke's Parrots, Gang-gang & Major Mitchell's Cockatoos
* bitterns, rails & crakes
* Cape Barren & Magpie Geese, Freckled Duck
* buttonquails, Aus. Bustard, Aus. Pratincole
* any interior specialities likely to be seen within easy reach of either Deniliquin or Alice/Ayers