birding-aus

Platypus specimen/s & my first south coast Grey Goshawk

To: <>
Subject: Platypus specimen/s & my first south coast Grey Goshawk
From: "Robert A Gosford" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:11:23 +1000

Dear all –

Apologies for this off-topic request but following my query about the location of some Central Australian bird specimens to the National Museum of Scotland they confirmed that they did have the specimens I was looking for and also asked if I might be of assistance in the Museum’s search for a Platypus specimen – unsure as to whether they want a spirit or stuffed specimen and I think they would be after a loan for a limited period only.

Can anyone on the list assist? Send me a message to my CRES address if you have any tips.

I also note that last week I saw my first Grey Goshawk (grey phase) gliding over the trees near our house at Vincentia on the NSW south coast accompanied by a harrying Magpie – and again on the weekend about half a kilometre away. The only other GG I’ve seen was in the backyard of our house in Ludmilla, a suburb of Darwin – and it was a white phase – red eyes, pure white plumage and yellow bare parts – a truly impressive and scary bird!

I’ve also heard a Brown Goshawk calling in our gully at Vincentia – hopefully they’ll breed there again this year and we will have the great fun of watching the fledged birds learning to hunt in our backyard.

Cheers

Robert A. Gosford

M. Phil. candidate

Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies

Australian National University

Canberra ACT 0200

Australia

Ph: 0419483760