birding-aus

Wreck on road to Leanyer sewage ponds

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Wreck on road to Leanyer sewage ponds
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:38:21 +1000
A cautionary note from Denise Goodfellow:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: 7 August 2005 12:35:39 PM
To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: wreck on road to sewage ponds

Russell,
Would you please post this to Birding Aus?

Michael and I went birding at the Leanyer sewage ponds, Darwin, early on the
7th August, with a couple of  visitors.  Michael drove ahead while I
followed in a hire care with American birders (one of whom was driving).

After sunrise the sun shines directly in one's eyes when approaching the
ponds.  So Michael didn't see a car wreck placed in the middle of
Fitzmaurice Drive. Fortunately he was driving slowly and only wrecked the
bumper bar and damaged the radiator.

However if the visitors and I, travelling at 50 kph, had hit the wreck we
probably would have written the hire car off, and possibly ourselves.

Concerned that other visitors might hit the wreck, we alerted the caretaker who phoned the police. The wreck had been removed by the time we left.

It is possible that birdwatchers were targeted. I can't think of anyone else likely to be entering the ponds early on a Sunday morning. So, be
careful.

Regards
Denise

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow