birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater & Swift Parrots

Subject: Regent Honeyeater & Swift Parrots
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:24:03 +1000

Many people on this list would be aware of the twice yearly Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot National Search Days.  For those that aren't:

Next weekend (6-7 August) is the official August National Search Days for these two endangered species.  The major aim of the weekend is to focus birdwatchers attention on these two species, encouraging folk to go forth, seek and report.  For Regent Honeyeaters, for example, we often have no idea where they are holed up at this time of year (and with the exception of the Capertee Valley right now, this is the case this year as well).  These surveys often turn up birds that we weren't aware of.

Look upon this as an excuse to go birdwatching.  The idea is not to go where you know there are Regent Honeyeaters and/or Swift Parrots (although if you do know where there are some please report them!) but where there is a chance that you might find them - no matter how slim.  At the moment this is almost anywhere between central Victoria and the Qld Sunshine Coast!

Even if you don't find the target species we ask people to collect information on nectarivorous birds generally, other threatened woodland birds and flowering of trees.  During the 11 years these surveys have been running this has provided us with a huge amount of data that is benefiting these, and other, species.  For this reason we ask people to fill in forms wherever they visit regardless of what you find.

Survey forms are available from either myself or Debbie Saunders (the Swift Parrot Project Officer).

For those unable to get out this weekend, we accept survey forms a week either side of the official weekend.

Good luck and good birding.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it immediately. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment and Conservation (NSW).