birding-aus

Trip Report, SE QLd, 14-24/5/05

Subject: Trip Report, SE QLd, 14-24/5/05
From: "Nick Livanos" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:21:04 +1000
Hello all,

This report is very late because my computer has been seriously ill since I returned from the trip.
It will be fairly brief as I don't know when the computer will crash again.

Gold Coast - my wife, Liz, and I stayed at Pimpama a few days with relatives. We didn't get out birding anywhere else, but it still started off nicely in the backyard with a new bird for us, the White-throated Honeyeater, with which we were to become very familiar over the next week or so. After a few days there, we headed off for the Sunshine Coast, stopping at a couple of places around Brisbane on the way.

First stop was Wynnum Boardwalk: This was a great spot - highly recommended. Great close-up views of another new bird, Collared Kingfisher were obtained here, the Mangrove Gerygones were singing away in the open just a few metres from the boardwalk, and lots of waders were within good viewing range . As well, there were good numbers of other birds, such as Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, Double-barred Finches, Red-backed Fairy Wrens, and even a pair of Cockatiels in the areas adjacent to the mangroves.

Next we stopped at Boondall Boardwalk, Nudgee Beach - It was mid-afternoon and rather windy when we arrived here, so didn't see a lot of birds, but I was fortunate enough to see another new bird, the Mangrove Honeyeater.

We then stayed in Caloundra for the rest of the time. Both grey and white phase Eastern Reef Egret were seen off the headlands and lots of waders were able to be seen on the sandbars from the shore. As expected, we saw plenty of raptors, particularly Brahminy Kite, Whistling Kite, White-bellied Sea Eagle  and Osprey, around the waterways, but the real surprise was seeing a pair of Osprey attending a nest in the pine trees along the esplanade at Golden Beach. They were completely at ease with the pedestrian and vehicular traffic all around them, and didn't seem to mind being looked down upon by the many high-rise units around.

We spent some time around Maleny and stopped off at Ewen Maddock Dam on the way, where we had great views of Forest Kingfisher. It was rather windy, so there weren't many birds out, except for some of the more common bush birds, cormorants and grebes. We then went to Mary Cairncross Park, where we saw Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Large-billed, Yellow-throated and White-browed Scrubwrens, as well as great close-up views of Pale-Yellow Robin.

Next day, we had an afternoon at Bribie Island (Red Beach/Buckley's Hole). Again, this was a terrific spot (must return), with over 60 species seen, including Rainbow Bee-eater, Comb-crested Jacana and Restless Flycatcher, but alas none of the recently-seen rarities. However, we managed to see another new bird, Greater Sand Plover, in smart breeding plumage.

The next birding opportunity was an afternoon at Rainbow Beach, another terrific birding area. This was the birding highlight of the trip for me, as I managed to see 2 new birds, including the main birding object of this trip, the Black-breasted Button-Quail, which we saw at Inskip Point. We saw plenty of fresh platelets, and could hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet, as well as scratching and rustling in the leaf litter but had to wait for some time to see one of the birds. Finally our patience was rewarded with a view of a male feeding about 5 metres off the track. Initially all we could see was his back end, but he eventually obliged and turned to face us - tick! We subsequently saw 2 more, and we could hear others. What we found surprising was that the BBBQ, despite the vehicular traffic on both sides of their little patch, and the numbers of people wandering through on the tracks which criss-cross the area, seemed, while shy, to be relatively unconcerned, and thriving here. There were also lots of other birds here, including Varied Triller, Mangrove Honeyeater and White-throated Honeyeater, as well as waders out on the sandbars.

On leaving Rainbow Beach, we decided to check out some of the heath in the Great Sandy National Park, off Cooloola Way, for Ground Parrots. We sat, listened and looked, but no GP's. However, as the shadows lengthened , some quail started to venture onto the track. I set up the scope, obtaining good views of Brown Quail. Liz and I had staked out separate areas, and as I walked along the track to meet her, I flushed a pair of King Quail (tick). When I reached her, she told me that she too had earlier flushed 2 tiny quail, one of which had a lot of grey on it, as well as black and white on the throat, and asked what species of quail would fit that description! To top it off, as I headed back to the car, I flushed another 2 on the other side of the track. While not what we had gone there for, it was a totally unexpected bonus, and topped off the day nicely.

 Because this was not primarily a birding trip, we didn't get to anywhere near all the places suggested - maybe next time! In all, 150 species were seen. While we did not see a lot of new birds, we did obtain great views of many birds which we see only fleetingly or occasionally at home. This includes birds such as Magpie Goose, Eastern Reef Egret, Forest Kingfisher,    Red-backed Fairy-wren, Little Friarbird, Pale-Yellow Robin, and Varied Triller.

Thanks to all who provided information by phone and email; it was most helpful. Also, the information obtained from www.birdsqueensland.com.au was comprehensive and useful.

Nick Livanos
-------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to