birding-aus

Gulf trip 6 May to 3 June 2005 - Part 2A

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Gulf trip 6 May to 3 June 2005 - Part 2A
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:21:41 +1000
 Part 2A

We stopped for lunch at a small waterhole East of Bowthorn station and saw our first Jabiru for the trip. Flowering Bloodwoods revealed Varied Lorikeets* and Silver-crowned Friarbirds*.

Kingfisher Camp on Bowthorn Station was a great grassed camping area with clean facilities and a wood fire to heat the shower water morning and evening. We camped here 3 nights, hiring a tinny for one day and chugging up and down Five-mile waterhole. We had the water to ourselves. Each night we were entertained by the calls of Boobooks and Barking Owls. We saw more Purple-crowned Fairy-wrens here and a few Red-tailed Black Cockatoos. We startled a group of Nankeen Night-herons and a single Striated Heron along the waterhole and found 3 Johnsons crocodiles warming up on the banks. We saw a good range of bush birds at this spot but not many waterbirds. 40 species.

We did find the waterbirds all hanging out at Goose Swamp. Only small puddles of water left here and a lot of mud. Our first Australian Bustards for the trip on the way there, stalking through the grass. There were lots of both species of Spoonbill, Glossy and Straw-necked Ibis and a large flock of Pelicans. A highlight was an Australian Spotted Crake* that we watched for 10 minutes, as he searched for food, flashing his distinctive under tail pattern, before he finally noticed us and scurried for the shelter of a reed bed.

25 species at Goose Swamp.

From KFC we travelled north to Burketown where we enjoyed Barra burgers in the pub and saw a Red-backed Kingfisher. Several times we saw pairs of A. Bustards, flocks of Cockatiels and flocks of Budgies.

East of Doomadgee be started seeing lots of Australian Pratincoles (kamikazi birds) on the road and small groups of Brolgas in the fields.

Armraynald Station is happy to have birdwatchers on their property with permission and will also allow camping. The waterhole at the homestead looked interesting but we preferred the privacy of small waterhole they gave us directions to. It was occupied by the biggest flock of Little Corellas I have ever seen. There must have been a thousand of them, and several times a day they would all take off and scream around the sky in a big mob, turning and swooping in unison. I counted 250 Brolga down the far end of the waterhole and several groups of Cockatiel flew in until there were about 500 of them. There were lots of other birds in smaller numbers, a group of comical Apostlebirds expressed there surprise at our presence and a lone Barn Swallow* perched on a wire over the water for a while. 40 species here.

Our first Sarus Cranes* were sighted near Magowra Station beside the road, a family of three. We saw heaps more, usually mixed with groups of Brolgas on the road side between Normanton and Karumba.