birding-aus

Low Roosting Owls

To: Edwin Vella <>
Subject: Low Roosting Owls
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:06:10 +1000
Hello Edwin,

The lowest roosting owl I've seen was a Grass Owl which flew up from a height of.......
You guessed it- 0 metres!

Cheers

Mick

Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: The Awaba Forest
www.wildlifing.com
Toronto, NSW, Australia 04101 23715

Edwin Vella wrote:

On the subject of low roosting frogmouths/nocturnal birds I would like to comment that I have seen once at Mitchell Park, Cattai (NW of Sydney CBD), 2 roosting juv. Powerful Owls perched only half a metre from the ground on the edge of the picnic area and under a shady tree. I was surprised how I initially walked passed them in the first instance as I went looking for Powerful Owls in the usual spot further up the creek, but when I got back to the car, there they were like 2 white posts. I also recall seeing my first Powerful Owl perched on a low branch, a metre over Euroka Creek at Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains.

Edwin Vella