birding-aus

Appeal for Bird Watchers

Subject: Appeal for Bird Watchers
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:35:49 +1000
Hello,

I am an honours student with Dr Peter Banks at the University of NSW and I am
looking into the potential impacts of dog walking on native prey species,
including the direct predation threat dogs can present to native birds.  To
gain insight into native prey response to dogs present during dog walking, I
am going to walk dogs on lead and conduct bird point surveys to determine the
species and number of bird individuals disturbed.  The aim is to do this on
trails where dog walking is frequent and trails where it is not frequent or
never done, to see if birds habituate to the predation risk walked dogs
present.  I?m planning to do this research in the Berowra-Cowan and Mt Colah-
Hornsby Heights areas, including tracks around and within Muogamarra Nature
Reserve, Berowra Valley Regional Park and Kuring-gai Chase National Park.  I
need to survey three points along the trail (which the dog will be walked
along) simultaneously and I am looking for keen volunteer bird watchers who
would be interested in participating. I?m looking to start in the next couple
of weeks. I would be very grateful for any assistance!

Sincerely,

Jessica Bryant

Phone: 9456 3605 or 0411 323 321
Email: