birding-aus

Cumberland BOC Outing to Magic Point Maroubra 3/7/05

To: "" <>, John Reidy <>, John Reidy <>, John Reidy <>, John Reidy <>, John Reidy <>, John Reidy <>
Subject: Cumberland BOC Outing to Magic Point Maroubra 3/7/05
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 9:20:33 +1000
27 people attended a CBOC sea watch outing to Magic Point, Maroubra, Sydney
yesterday.  The weather was sunny. The wind initially was a south wester but it
veered to the south east during the day. According to the weather bureau it was
10 - 15 knots.

The day started with Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos and the most populous bird
for the day being the New Holland Honeyeater. On the walk out to the point,
both Horsefield Bronze-Cuckoo (picked up by its call) and a Fan Tailed Cuckoo
(seen but not heard) were viewed by some of our group.

We spent the rest of the day watching the sea and were rewarded with 10+ Black
Browed Alabatrosses passing in ones and twos, 1 possibly two Yellow Nosed
Albatrosses and the highlight being 1 Grey Headed Albatross. 3 to 4 Giant
Petrels were seen, 1 x probable Northern, 1 probable Southern and the others
totally unidentifiable. There were large numbers of Gannets with many
demonstrations of their diving prowess. The immature birds were keeping to the
shoreline while the adults were well out.

Several groups of Fluttering Shearwater passed south with numbers varying from
1 to approximately 50, totalling 100+. The Fairy Penguins were notable by their
absence. Crested Terns and Silver Gulls were plentiful.

On the mamal front there were 3 to 4 pods of whales moving north. There seemed
to be 2 - 3 animals in each pod. One whale showed istelf well when it dived.
The consensus was that they were Humpbacks.

The resident Nankeen Kestrals were away for the day, but we did see a Peregine
Falcon and a Black Shouldered Kite.

All up we saw or heard 32 species. A very pleasant day with some great
higlights.

Happy Birding.

--
John Reidy