birding-aus

Many Regent Honeyeaters in Capertee Valley

To: <>
Subject: Many Regent Honeyeaters in Capertee Valley
From: "Neil KIRBY" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:21:23 +1000

Just arrived home after spending two days in the magical Capertee Valley where Regent Honeyeaters are in abundance. Despite rain and freezing winds I saw 6 at Coco Creek feeding on mistletoe in the River Oaks, 14 at Crown Station Road feeding on White Box flowers, 2 near Port Macquarie Road gleaning insects in sapling Eucalypts and an incredible 48 around the Glenowlan Road bridge on the Capertee River. At this site they just kept coming in threes and fours in mixed flocks of Black-chinned, White-naped, White-plumed, Yellow-faced and Fuscous Honeyeaters to feed on manna in the gums above the river, on flowers of White Box, occasionally hawking for insects and then moving into the River Oaks to feed on the mistletoe flowers of Amyema cambagei. They are so beautiful in flight, just masses of yellow and black. As a welcome change the Regents were calling over the two days I was in the valley and this certainly made it easier to locate them. They seemed to mostly avoid the more aggressive Noisy Friarbirds and Red Wattlebirds that were also common in the area.

I also saw 22 Turquoise Parrots on Crown Station Road including one flock of 14 birds all feeding together on the ground, and this morning at 6 o’clock I heard a pair of Barking Owls singing in duet for about 10 minutes. The calls seemed to be coming from near Timothy Hyde’s property.

Searched in vain for Swift Parrots, but could only positively identify Little & Musk Lorikeets.

Neil Kirby