birding-aus

Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Farewell Gouldian Finch?

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Farewell Gouldian Finch?
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:27:09 +1000

Begin forwarded message:

From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: 27 June 2005 2:08:17 PM
To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Fwd: Farewell Gouldian Finch?

Some more information according to The Territory Times (24 June). I can send a photo too, if anyone wishes
to see what we're dealing with up here.

The grass is "raging out of control around Batchelor (about 70 kms south of
Darwin).  [I would say that's the case around much of the rural area).

Gamba grass has now been found in Kakadu National Park. In fact, according to ranger Greg Miles it's all the way in, for instance on the track to Jim
Jim Falls.

According to the chairman of the Gamba Action Group, David Welch, a large gamba grass-fuelled fire near Batchelor in 2004, spread 5 kms in 25 minutes. That's not the sort of blaze birders should hang around and take pictures
of.

Regards

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com