birding-aus

Nice records fom the nothern Wet Tropics.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nice records fom the nothern Wet Tropics.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:12:30 +1000
Ealier in June Phil Gregory was the first to record five Freckled Ducks at Mt. Carbine. Last Wednesday (22nd) numbers reached 35 individuals and would undoubtable reflect the drought conditions currently widespread throughout eastern Australia.
    On the other extreme with differing species I have recently observed six Restless Flycatchers, unusual as I haven't seen one for six years.
    Over the last two months there have been records locally of White-browed, Masked and Little Woodswallows, in some cases the first for many years. For the White-browed the was only one locality record for both Atlases! It appears that they may have moved on again as there has been some rain in central Queensland.
    Some species of raptors have shown a sizeable build up in numbers these especially being Australian Kestrels, Brown Falcons and Black-shouldered Kites. This also applies to Red-backed Kingfishers.
    On tour last week we travelled to Cooktown Crossing downstream on the Mitchell River. Sightings which were noteable for the morning were about sixty Black-throated Finches and at another stop viewed twenty-six Diamond Doves preening in a ten metre eucalypt.
    Closer to home at Julatten two species of melaleuca have been in full flower and in the six species of honeyeaters feeding were over twenty Brown-backed which under normal circumstances should have returned to New Guinea!
    In the last few weeks there have been consistent light falls of rain in the Wet Tropics which has promoted late seeding of grasses and many of the eucalypts are starting to flower. These circumstances will most certainly continue to bring some more unusual species our way. We will  keep you up to date with sightings.

Regards,

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.