birding-aus

Northern Shoveler neasr South West Rocks NSW

To: <>
Subject: Northern Shoveler neasr South West Rocks NSW
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:16:43 +1000
Hi Birders,
On Saturday 25 June 2005 an adult male Northern Shoveler, which was accompanied by a female Shoveler, was seen at Seale's Rd Swamp, located on the Kempsey-Gladstone Rd via Seale's Rd & Belmore River. The bird was located as soon as my son Tim and I alighted from the vehicle, appearing as a brown and white object, at about 9O m distance at the edge of a wetland with about 60 other Australasian Shovelers. Using a telescope we had perfect views of the Northern Shoveler in sunlight on the south side of the road.

We watched the bird for over 40 minutes, after 25 minutes a Swamp Harrier flushed this group of Shovelers and Grey Teal and they flew across the road and joined a larger flock of waterbirds, roughly 1000 Shovelers and 800 Grey Teal on the otjher side. The bird was then watched at distances of 100-160 m but eventually after the Swamp Harriers had moved elsewhere, the pair returned to the south side of the road. We could not distinguish anything different about the female shoveler with the other female Australasian Shovelers that were close by although our best views of the female where when she was on the north side of the road and we were facing into the sun.

I notified local birdwatchers and later that afternoon Ken Shingleton and Alan Gill were able to locate the pair of birds at the same location without much difficulty. If accepted this will be the 5th confirmed record for NSW, the last two records being at South West Rocks and Ash Island in 2002, although during that year there were three additional reports of the bird for which no submissions to BARC were made.

Is the Werribee bird still down at the STW?

Alan Morris