birding-aus

Kalkadoon Grasswrens

To: <>
Subject: Kalkadoon Grasswrens
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:18:28 +1000
Hi Birders,

A word of warning about the ease of finding both the Kakadoon and Carpentian Grasswrens at Mt isa. If you look back in the archives for May 2003 (Great Grasswren Hunt) you will see that Robin Benson and I made 4 seperate trips of 3-4 hours duration to Mica Creek/Sibella Creek area looking for the Kalkadoon Grasswrens before achieving success not far from the old burnt out car on a ridge close to the main road. Other people have not even been that lucky! The squeaking only worked once we came upon the birds and it helped to hold them close so we got good looks, it certainly did not help finding them in the first place. We found them in no other location!

Three weeks ago we were passing Mica Creek enroute to Boulia and so we stopped for half an hour to see if we could find them again at the site where we found them previously and had no luck! Yet at Bladensberg NP at Winton the following day we had instant success in finding the Rufous-crowned Emu-wren & Spinifexbirds, which on the first occasion took much effort.

Alan Morris