birding-aus

Tampling birdos and villains

To: <>
Subject: Tampling birdos and villains
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:23:27 +1000
Hi all

More charity, loving kindness and care please!

Actually I didn't say anyone should keep info. about threatened birds to themelves.

All I suggested was care about reporting threatened birds. Don't forget that postings on this list can be read by people who are not subscribers and that what we say should be welcoming to newcomers to birding.

Terry Pacey in his posting on 'Responsibility' of 28/1/03 said, in relation to breeding by two species "...I WILL NOT divulge the location of such rarities in the future except to those who will help with the conservation of these species".

I respect his reasons and I look forward to David Geering and Alan Morris pointing all of us, particularly beginners, to clear guidance on "what to do" about sightings of threatened species.

It would be helpful if that could distinguish between critically endangered, endangered, vulnerable and near-threated species in the national and State contexts, and distinguish between casual observations and those of possible/actual breeding.

I hope they will also take into account Judith's initial question - which started all this - which related to a possible sighting of a threatend species.

Michael Norris

PS I loved Alan's neologism combining "trampllng" and "tamping"! Must use it some day. PPS Alan, I recall - don't you? - at least one contributor who used the list for clearly unethical purposes. PPPS A couple of weeks ago there were 3 Hardheads - vulnerable in Victoria - on the upper dam at Brighton Golf Course, SE Melbourne. Go for it! But please check in at the clubhouse first.