birding-aus

Western Gerygone, Plumheads and more

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Gerygone, Plumheads and more
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:17:29 +1000
Western Gerygone is only a very occasional winter bird here, but we have had
two at Abberton for a week or so. They sing quite a lot, and really do sound
rather like a White-throated Gerygone suddenly running into a brick wall
just before the end of its song!

Other winter birds for us are turning up, such as Rose Robins, Yellow-faced
Honeyeaters and buff-flanked Silvereyes. Square-tailed Kite is pretty
regular in May/June, and we had great views of one low and almost overhead
as we drove in to Gatton the other day.

Speckled Warblers are around the garden in numbers. I've counted as many as
ten spread around the place on just a short walk. The creek is for the most
part dry just now, and the Speckled Warblers are into it like cattle on the
long paddock.

There have been plenty of Plumheaded Finches around the valley, and a couple
dropped into the garden on Sunday, which led me to wonder if they've maybe
recently shifted their current roost closer to us, in which case we can look
forward to an influx for a few weeks. Then last night, as we were sitting on
the verandah not long before dusk, we saw the familiar sight (and heard the
familiar sound) of small parties of Plumheads passing overhead on their way
to roost. They were heading a bit upstream of the house, and I don't know
whether the roost is on Abberton or not, but they do favour waterside
vegetation for their roosts be it reedbeds or cane-grass or whatever - and
there are plenty of options for them here.

I'll report back if they move in.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.