birding-aus

RFI China field guide

To: The Bugtusslebunch <>, "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: RFI China field guide
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:48:05 +1000
The Bugtusslebunch wrote:

I am heading off to Mongolia and China for 5 weeks in July/August and have decided that I defintely need a field guide as there seems to be thousands of species over there!!! Could anyone tell me which would be the best one and where in Australia I might source it? I've left it a bit late I know, but perhaps it's not yet impossible!!

Hi Nina

I have some work coming up in eastern China this year, so I've already been through the field guide 'thing'. From my brief stint a few years ago in a natural history bookshop I know that China bird field guides are thin on the ground - there's basically just one English language book, and it's a heavy chunk of a book, and expensive. I recently got a mint quality second hand copy from the USA for much less (c. AU$70 - posted) than the price of a new one here (AU$100). You might still have time to do likewise (try http://www. bookfinder.com).

Anyhow, this is it:

MacKinnon, J. & Phillipps, K. (2000). /A field guide to the birds of China. / Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0 19 854940 [paperback]

Cheers, Lawrie

PS: It's quite a nice book, mostly reasonable plates & maps, brief text.

--
*Lawrie Conole

Get Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=178>