birding-aus

RFI Uluru to Alice Springs

Subject: RFI Uluru to Alice Springs
From: "Tim Jones" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:36:42 +0000
Dear Birding-Aussers

having been in us for 3 years now, I can't get out of taking my son to see Uluru. However, that's no good without some birding. We are planning to arrive at Uluru on 2nd July and take 4 days in a hired 4wd and then fly back to Sydney from Alice Springs.

It would be great to plan out a route that takes in some special birds of the centre - any ideas for sites along the way with a good chance of some nice inland birds? We're hoping the Grey Honeyeater might still be in Alice when we get there, of course.

Some of the reports I've seen lately suggest things are pretty dead in the area - we're happy to go, but not if we're going to draw a complete and utter blank, bird-wise. Would we be better off choosing somewhere else (maybe Mt. Isa area)? It would have to be somewhere within a reasonable flying distance of Sydney, but not E Coast, as we've seen a lot of the E coast birds and want to get some more inland-type things.

Any assistance gratefully recieved.

Tim Jones