birding-aus

Miserable? autumn in SE Melbourne

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Miserable? autumn in SE Melbourne
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:01:49 +1000
Dear all

In Melbourne it seemed as if summer would never end in this part of the
suburbs, with great snorkeling days at our Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary
well after the equinox.

But it was dry and dry again until the last week of May.

Almost all the birds we have come to expect in autumn were scarce or absent
until then. I know of only two robin sightings, no Shrike-Thrush, a couple
of Whistlers, one Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater etc.  No rarities. Mistletoebirds
were about average - there is a lot of mistletoe fruit around - and Spotted
Pardalotes are reasonably common. Spinebills did not appear in numbers until
recently.

But a few Pied Currawongs have been roaming for three months, our Singing
Honeyeater(s?) have stayed as has a Buff-banded Rail.

I'd be interested in any further records from the City of Bayside and wonder
what people elsewhere in Melbourne have experience in these interesting
times.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife