birding-aus

Re: Confusion: Little/Brush/Western Wattlebird

Subject: Re: Confusion: Little/Brush/Western Wattlebird
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 00:59:46 +0800

>An extract from the report reads "Other birds of
>interest at Cheynes Beach and surrounding area
>included Brown Quail, Little Wattlebird, Western
>Wattlebird, ........"

Rob,

Did the person list Western Spinebill?  I have done this sometimes in the past, and forgotten to proof read it to correct it.  In this case it is a typo, and not a claim of seeing both species.

If anyone has posted their total to Tony Palliser's web site, then they shouldn't have any problems.  The guidelines at the top clearly state that Christidis & Boles (1994) is the list, plus new species accepted by BARC.

And it doesn't matter if birders are unaware on the name Western Wattlebird.  If they talk about Little Wattlebird (as I mostly do) then I know what they are talking about.  Similarly if they talk about Brush Wattlebird.  They don't overlap so I don't have a problem.  If you have a problem then get over it.

If people are submitting a photo to the wrong species, then it is up to the web site manager to correct.  You looked at the photos and knew which was which, even if it was put under the wrong species.  People who care like you will know the difference.  People who don't care probably don't need to know the difference.

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email : -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to