birding-aus

Swift Parrot/Regent Honeyeater Search..

Subject: Swift Parrot/Regent Honeyeater Search..
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:40:05 +1000
Hi all,

I spent yesterday afternoon (14/5/05) searching unsuccessfully for Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters in the Killawarra and Boweya Forest sections of the Warby Range State Park (North-East Victoria). I also spotted at Reef Hills Park near Benalla this morning. The forest was very dry and I only encountered one Grey Box flowering. There was even little lerp left on the eucalypts. However I did encounter many other kinds of birds.

In the Killawarra Forest I birded around The Camp picnic area. Two pairs of Hooded Robin were seen along with a pair of Jacky Winter and three Red-capped Robin. Flame Robins were also seen in a cleared area nearby. A small group of Speckled Warblers were foarging in leaf litter. One bird I am having uncanny luck seeing lately is the Black Falcon. One was observed flying high over the picnic area heading west. Drier conditions inland may be causing this species to move south.

To the west of the Killawarra is the smaller Boweya Forest (also Box-Ironbark). Back 2001 I saw over 40 Swift Parrots here, but not today. Pied Currawaongs were seen in the paddocks around the forest catching mice. One Grey Box tree was found flowering which attracted many Little and Noisy Friarbirds. Dusky Woodswallows were still around and another late leaving species, a Rufous Sounglark was also observed. A small group of nine Little Lorikeet gave me some hope of finding some Swifties but they were only passing through. A small flock of Blue-faced Honeyeaters and a male Hooded Robin were also good sightings.

This morning at Reef Hills Park the forest was very dry and no trees were flowering. I did see a pair of Australian King-parrot, wintering from the mountains.

Michael Ramsey, Whittlesea, Vic.