birding-aus

Powerful Owl Wollongong

To: TERRILL NORDSTROM <>
Subject: Powerful Owl Wollongong
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:06:20 +1000
TERRILL NORDSTROM wrote:
On the 28th 0f April I reported a Powerful Owl roosting in the town centre of Wollongong. Since then I have looked without success to find the bird until today when I was walking along the beach near Wollongong looking for beach washed birds, which I do each week, when I found a dead Powerful Owl at the high tide mark. I cannot say for sure that it was the same bird but chances are it is. Did it fly out at sea and got lost or was the bird in the town because food was hard to find in it's normal range.

Terrill

Possibly the latter - but at this time of year it is likely to have been a non-breeding 'floater' bird pushed out of other birds' breeding territories.  Your find is interesting, in the general 'black hole' which is the ecology of non-breeding POs ...

My colleagues here at Ea and I have been studying non-breeding PO ecology in outer eastern Melbourne over the last year or so, and hope to publish some of our finding in coming months (years??!!).  There are a lot of assumptions made about PO behaviour/ecology which take little account of the non-breeding portion of the population.  Stay tuned ...

Cheers, Lawrie

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142