birding-aus

Mystery bird

Subject: Mystery bird
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 21:15:59 +1000
Have to disagree with you Tim. As soon as I saw the picture I thought Banded, due to the shape of the bill. This is much to short for any Lichenostomus. The spot is dark, but to quote HANZAB the juvenile plumage has "light-yellow patch covering most of ear-coverts, and small and diffuse grey-black spot on lower rear ear-coverts." The wings are darker than the juvenile pictured, but could have moulted first into immature plumage. I believe the rump is probably white, but is covered by the primaries.
Though as I say the shape of the bird was my first clue.
Cheers,
Peter