birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands - 1 May 2005

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands - 1 May 2005
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:50:37 +1000
Hi
managed a quick late morning visit to Warriewood Wetlands and Irrawong Reserve on Sydney's northern beaches today.  The wetlands have a fair bit of water in but also lots of grass.  Some of the Swamp Mahoganies are flowering, but not a huge number are carrying flower buds - more were flowering or looking likely to do so in the Irrawong section than in the Wetlands

Best birds were a Spangled Drongo (almost at the waterfall in Irrawong) and a couple more heard, a good view of a Lewins Honeyeater fight and what I think was a Crescent Honeyeater foraging with some Yellow Faceds not far into the Swamp Mahoganies off the Wetlands boardwalk.  Unfortunately a pack of Lewins Honeyeaters came and drove them off and I didn't see it again - I got a quick look at the crescent mark before it disappeared.

Lots of Yellow Faced Honeyeaters, Grey Fantails, Brown Gerygones, Silvereyes and Eastern Whipbirds in the wooded areas, mostly Purple Swamphens and Moorhens on the water.

Cheers
Tom Wilson