birding-aus

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Rediscovered

To: "Birding_Aus _Server" <>
Subject: Ivory-billed Woodpecker Rediscovered
From: "Dean Cutten" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:09:57 -0500
Although not directly related to our area, thought you all would like to
know that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been rediscovered after being
considered extinct for the past 62 years in North America. Sighting has been
documented in central Arkansas in a small area of  bottomland forest which
had been kept a secret for the past 2 years. See the following sites for
further info:

http://www.birdingamerica.com/ivorybilledwoodpecker.htm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4622633

There was an unsuccessful search in March 2002 in a large area of bottomland
forest in south Lousiana after a turkey hunter had supposedly seen one in
April 2001 so this area might become the focus of attention again. This
would be a magnificant bird to see as is its smaller related cousin the
Pileated Woodpecker, which I have seen many of in the years I lived in
Alabama.

Dean Cutten

Victor Harbor, SA