birding-aus

Extra-late Rufous Fantail

To: <>
Subject: Extra-late Rufous Fantail
From: "Neil KIRBY" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:33:32 +1000

I was on Kings Tableland (south of Wentworth Falls in the upper Blue Mountains) on Tuesday 19/4/05 looking for Southern Emu-Wrens (found a group of 5) when I flushed  a Rufous Fantail out of low dry heath of mostly Allocasuarina nana and Petrophile  ssp. It flew a short distance down the track and then dived for cover into the heath again. Apart from being extremely late it seemed to be out of its normal habitat even for migration.

Also today in Blue Gum Swamp, Winmalee (80 km west of Sydney) two male Superb Lyrebirds (one pursued by the other) glided from the eastern escarpment and through the upper branches of trees in the valley in an apparent territorial dispute. They both landed on an upper branch in a tall Blue Gum. The second bird rushed along the limb at the other bird and chased it into the undergrowth using loud mimicry.

Neil Kirby