birding-aus

Taman Negara

To: "" <>
Subject: Taman Negara
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:20:26 +1000
Hi all,

I agree with all that Michael says but I did find quite a few birds on the
river trip, including Changeable Hawk Eagle, Long-tailed Parakeet and Blue
-rumped Parrot, to name the best (for me). But then it is a three hour trip and
I am sure that the car trip is quicker and, if alone, one could ask the driver
to stop or detour. Ah dear, decisions, decisions!

And people I travelled with on the boat highly recommended the backpacker and
hotel/motel accommodation opposite the Mutiara.

Regarding the Mutiara, I am not sure when you stayed there Michael but when I
was there in Feb 2002 it was very good and was not too busy. This year I am
told though that it is now being used for a lot of company retreat and team
building groups with all their attendant noise and commotion. An example given
from one fellow boat traveller who had been staying at the Mutiara was of a man
whose nationality will remain nameless who came to reception as she was
checking out complaining that no one had been to his bungalow to collect his
bags and his boat was about to leave! I would agree though that Mutiara has a
better variety of habitat. I got Crested Jay on that trip and saw no habitat at
Nusa that would have supported a Jay.

The joy of Nusa however was the lack of people and the birding. I did not get
many babblers but the Asia waterfall track got me to see Maroon Woodpecker,
Asian Paradise Flycatcher, Yellow vented Flowerpecker, Asian Koel and, two
things not available at Mutiara, Chestnut-naped Flowerpecker and a chance to
skinny dip, the later very appreciated after a hard bash in the humid, leach
filled jungle (the little B! got me right through my heavy sock and it still
itches a week later).

Could I decide or recommend between the two? No, not really, especially if you
have not been before. There are pros and cons to both eg Nusa is dry but at
Mutiara you can have a cold beer or wine with dinner.

Oh, and I have got an international guarantee with my new darling Sony - why,
it even has a zeiss lens (X factor ++) to go with my ever so lovely binoculars,
so how could I resist!!

good birding to all

Jen