birding-aus

Darters with young in Centennial park, Sydney

Subject: Darters with young in Centennial park, Sydney
From: Frank Hemmings <>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:24:40 +1000
Hi all,

Went for a birding walk in Centennial Park (eastern suburbs, Sydney) on Sunday (10/4) morning. Great views of Darters at a nest over the Busby Pond. The mother was next to the nest and the father was feeding four young, largely downy but with the primaries growing through. Darters are beautiful (to me) at close range, especially when side lit with early morning sun, but to see them feeding four young at a nest on a low branch maybe 10m away in the early morning was great. I hadn't been down to the park for a while (obviously) so had not expected this, and was told by someone walking their dog, who was watching them at the time, that they had been watching the nest and that the chicks were four weeks old. There were three other nests in that pond, which were all on an island (unlike this one which was on the "mainland"). One had an adult female sitting on what appeared to be at least two downy young, another had a female sitting pretty tight on something not visible, and the fourth had a male which appeared to be still constructing the nest.

I guess I hadn't taken much notice of how many Darters there were here - four pairs on this lake alone, with more birds on the Duck Pond too. Darters seem to be holding on here quite well for now.

cheers

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Environmental and Earth Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274