birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swift at Kirks Point, Werribee

To: <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swift at Kirks Point, Werribee
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:28:30 +1000
An early trip (8am) this morning to Kirks Point to check on the Pacific
Golden Plover turned up a surprise of over 500 Fork-tailed Swift. They were
coming in low off the bay and heading generally north. They extended as far
as the bins could see - from the boat ramp to Avalon airfield. When I
thought the last had disappeared, I began to head home again (~8.40am). I
caught up to the FT Swifts along the Point Wilson Rd. They extended the
entire length and were crossing the highway. As I headed towards Melbourne,
I passed the last FTS just after South Rd. I expect my initial estimate is
probably way too low, and that the number was 1500+.

By the way, I could only locate a single PGPlover in non-breeding plumage.
Also, based on the buzz call, I believe an Orange-bellied Parrot flew past
and was last seen heading across the bay toward Port Arlington.

Cheers,

Joy Tansey
Altona Meadows