birding-aus

Taxonomic References

To: Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Taxonomic References
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:02:39 +1000
Hi Peter

I'm glad that you got some of the info you needed.

At 05:34 PM 4/04/2005 +1000, you wrote:
Peter,

That is exactly what I was after (though I realise now I wasn't real clear in the original e-mail). My original interest was sparked by the list of authors at the rear of HBW (I just used Southern Whiteface as an Australian example). Because this bibliography is so complete, I just wondered why the title wasn't also listed.

I don't know why the title wasn't included, it may be just a quirk of the HBW editors and maybe it was to save space.  It didn't help the authors of HBW because they
had to trace back to the full article in each case.

Is there any reason for why this is the case? Is it simply for lack of space, or would many taxa be listed under the same title (such as "New species of Birds from Australia" which would then proceed to list a whle gamut of species)?

If there are a lot of refs to the same paper, there is an option to use "op. cit."  [opere citato], meaning in the work cited before.  This was widely used in the past but
seldom used these days,  probably because  of the likely confusion in the text of knowing just which was the work cited earlier.

Many journals are trying to reduce the possibility of confusion in references.  In the past, journal titles were often abbreviated using various systems (so American Naturalist could be either Am. Nat. or Amer. Natur.) and it took some experience to know that Zool. Jb. (Syst.) referred to Zoologische Jahrbucher (Systematik) while now many journals require that cited journal titles are spelled out in full.

Cheers

Peter