birding-aus

Re burning.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re burning.
From: Duncan Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:13:39 +1000
After reading Rob Farnes' email I just thought -- tell me the old old story. "Fuel reduction burning" is driven by politics, conservation of species barely registers, if at all, when the decisions are made to burn. Last spring, even the local operatives were privately registering their concern at having to torch the bush when it was under enormous stress from three years of drought. I went out afterwards for a look and areas were just devastated, fire had gone through to crown level and nothing was left except skeletons of mature trees. At the moment the fires are boiling up to the north of me in the heat and north winds, totally inappropriate weather, and once again there will be nothing left except blackened skeletons when things cool down. All the young saplings will be killed, the mature trees damaged, and the fauna eliminated. I can echo Rob's comments about local extinctions, from a botanical point of view as well as re the Quail Thrush, rarely seen now in the frequently burnt foothills where it used to be relatively common. Duncan Fraser, Maffra, Vic.