birding-aus

Pied Butcherbird in Central NSW

To: Edwin Vella <>
Subject: Pied Butcherbird in Central NSW
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:03:17 +1000
In Queensland (mainly in the south-east) gardens, both Grey and Pied
Butcherbirds are common, both being recorded from 64% of gardens
in a 1999/2000 survey.  Twenty years earlier the Grey Butcherbird was
on 50% and the Pied on 63%.

The question of Striped Honeyeaters is interesting. They have made
no great inroads into (south-east) Queensland gardens.
From 1971-74 they had a marked increase at Wellington Point, south of
Brisbane but then declined, and in the Brisbane Valley they have had a
significant increase in numbers over the past 24 years.  Perhaps they
are the next species ready to invade out gardens?

Peter