birding-aus

Quorrobolong , Broke and Bulga, Hunter Region,NSW

To: <>
Subject: Quorrobolong , Broke and Bulga, Hunter Region,NSW
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:30:32 +1100
Hi Birders,

Anne and I made a trip to Quorrobolong and other Hunter Regioin locations today to see what trees were flowering and to check for any signs of Swift Parrots. While at all locations there were some trees in flowers, no Swifties were heard or seen.

At Quorrobolong in the box woodland, a few Spotted Gum and quite a number of Grey Box were flowering so that there were plenty of Little Lorrikeets, Yellow-tufted, Fuscous, White-naped, Yellow-faced and Brown-headed Honeyeaters and Noisy Friarbirds feeding. Dusky Woodswallows were common and two pairs of White-breasted Cuckoo-shrikes were present. Rufous Whistlers, Sacred Kingfisher, Spotted & Striated Pardalotes, Brown Treecreepers and a female Rose Robin were also present.

At Milbrodale there was a Yellow-billed Spoonbill, and on another dam, Straw-necked Ibis, Black-winged Stilts, Grey Teal, Pelicans and Australasian Little Grebes. Along Wambo Rd Bulga there was a large group of Grey-crowned Babblers, many Noisy Friarbirds, Striped Honeyeaters, Kestrel, Whistling Kite, Weebills and Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes.

We ate our lunch at the Bulga Bridge and were able to see 3 White-backed Swallows, Double-barred Finch, a Wedge-tailed Eagle, Peaceful Dove, Rufous Whistler and Striated Pardalotes. About 2km along Wallaby Swamp Rd, Bulga there were more woodland birds and the Grey Box was in flower. We saw Brown Treecreepers, nesting White-plumed Honeyeater, Restless Flycatcher,Striped Honeyeater and Grey Shrike-thrush..

We returned via Broke and Wollombi but saw nothing exceptional except that around Wollombi the Bloodwood was heavy in flower but no lorikeets or Swifties were here either.

Alan Morris