birding-aus

The Butcherbird and the dove

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Butcherbird and the dove
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:35:20 +1000
Greetings from cool north Queensland,

No I am not being facetious, I have a sleeveless pullover on at 9:15 in the morning, in March!

As I visited the letter box this morning my attention was drawn to one of the mandarin trees by a sound like flicking your hand firmly against leather. It was a Bar-shouldered Dove defending its nest against the attentions, and no doubt intentions, of a Black Butcherbird. Because of the dense nature of the tree I could not see which wing was being raised but think it most likely to be the one distant from the predator. This is the way they behave when they are fighting conspecifics. The raising of the near side wing with a role of the body away from the other dove is a sign of submissiveness. This latter action is a gentle one not associated with the flicking sound.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road