birding-aus

Needletails - Strzelecki Ranges (Vict.)

Subject: Needletails - Strzelecki Ranges (Vict.)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:55:36 +1100

Just a brief note about some needletail sightings while my wife and I were tandem touring up to the Tarra-Bulga National Park in the Strzelecki Ranges of Gippsland Victoria last weekend (11-14 March 2005).  Tarra-Bulga National Park is about 30km due south of Traralgon.

The weather was warm to very warm each day and over the forested sections of the Grand Ridge Road we observed 20 - 30 White-throated Needletails (no Fork-tailed Swifts) feeding just above tree height.  It made quite a sight watching the birds swoop past in the tree openings just above the immense Mountain Ash and Myrtle Beech.

cheers, Martin