birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts in Melbourne

To: <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts in Melbourne
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:33:13 +1100
Hi all,
Further to Michael Ramsey's posting which included 250 Fork-tailed Swifts over Woodlands Historic Park, this morning at 9:30 there were 20 Fork-tailed Swifts with about 10 White-throated Needletails heading north over La Trobe University, Bundoora, Melbourne. This is the first time I've seen Fork-tailed Swifts over the La Trobe campus.

On Saturday evening while down at Wilson's Promontory (southern Vic) there were over 2000 White-throated Needletails (but no Fork-taileds) foraging low over the main isthmus (near Cotter's Lake turn-off). A spectacular sight with frequently fly-bys at head height.

It seems like a bit of a boom year for swift records thus far in Victoria. I seem to be seeing them just about every day that I spend any time looking up!

Regards
Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke
Threatened Mallee Bird Project