birding-aus

Common Mynas

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Common Mynas
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:55:07 +1100

Just a footnote to the Myna discussion, I note a lot of people mentioning them near grain silos etc. Do they really eat seed? I often have Mynas in my garden in outer Western Sydney, and although I put out a handful of seed on my feeder from time to time to see what turns up for photographic purposes, I have never ever seen a Myna or a Starling on the feeder.

With regard to their stealing nesting holes, Penrith is at the moment in the midst of a Rainbow Lorikeet invasion, they must outnumber Mynas ten to one, so the Mynas do not seem to be having any impact on either the Rainbow Lorikeets, Galahs or the Long Billed Corellas which appear to have most of the good nesting holes in the area.

2. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago after the storms that the Sacred Kingfishers and Dollarbirds had apparently all left for places North. Just to prove me a liar, I saw one of each on the banks of the Nepean this morning.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds