birding-aus

5 most significant facts

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: 5 most significant facts
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:05:16 +1100
John,

The following are some salient points (Lifted from Garnett and Crowley (2000)
Action plan for Australian birds (page ix)) concerning bird conservation in
Australia. Though all three points may not make it into a 'top five facts about
Australian birds' it provides a good summary of where we are at after 200+
years of European occupation.

"Over 82% of Australian bird taxa from mainland Australia and Tasmania have
been affected by land clearance at some stage, and for half it is a continuing
threat."

"The action plan lists 25 taxa as Extinct, 32 as Critically Endangered, 41 as
Endangered, 82 as Vulnerable and 81 as Near Threatened as at June 30 2000."
Note that this includes external Australian Territories (e.g. Norfolk Island).

"Since European settlement (1788) 1.9% of birds have become extinct and a
further 11.5 % are considered threatened." These percentages do not quite match
with the other numbers provided in the text. I'm guessing this is because they
have discounted vagrants, introduced species and possibly some species such as
Cattle Egret that appear to have established here naturally since European
settlement.

Cheers and good luck with the show,
Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke