birding-aus

Wonthaggi

To: <>
Subject: Wonthaggi
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:03:34 +1100
Hi All,

After reading a recent report from Stuart Dashper I felt inspired to take
advantage of an empty house at Cape Patterson and spend some time exploring
the Wonthaggi area.

Picked up Jen Spry for company and set off early Sat afternoon. Went
straight to the Wonthaggi heathlands. The first bird of the day was Emu (2)
visible in the cow paddock across from the trail entrance.  Careful
searching picked up 7 species of Honeyeater, Olive Whistler and at the other
end of the size scale to Emu, Southern Emu-wren. But no Beautiful Firetail.

A walk out to Baxter's Wetlands and we found the Magpie Goose was still
around, along with some superbly coloured Hoary-headed Grebe and a
magnificent Blue-billed Duck.

A pleasant evening followed over a red wine on the veranda under a slightly
misshapen near full moon. The day had been so pleasant we decided to do it
all again in the morning - ever optimistic.

Early morning at Baxter's and the Magpie Goose decided it REALLY liked the
nesting box the Chestnut Teal were sleeping on scattering them before its
landing. An adult and then later an immature Collared Sparrowhawk gave
stunning views.

Back to the heathlands. We did manage to turn up a Firetail this time,
unfortunately it was a Red-browed rather than the elusive Beautiful. Still,
a second walk was as good as the first, and we could always call it
exercise.
A close inspection of all ravens failed to turn any into Forests, which was
our second dip. Phillip Island was our third dip, but we can do that another
day. All up 66 species for our 24 hour de-stressing jaunt, and a promise to
do it all again.

Cheers,

Joy Tansey
Altona Meadows