birding-aus

RE: RFI: Yellingbo and Helmeted Honeyeater

Subject: RE: RFI: Yellingbo and Helmeted Honeyeater
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:36:14 EST
Dear Peter,

I recorded few birds at the spot when there 3 years ago. This spot is 50 km east of Melbourne. From Woori Yallock is 9 km west along the Warburton Highway. 6 km south of Woori Yallock, along the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Rd, is the Yellingbo State Fauna Reserve that is the only known habitat of the Helmeted Honeyeater.
The place where I saw it was  just west of the township Yellingbo. There is a bridge over Woori Yellock Creek on the Seville road.Her I saw the birds.

An other good spot for the Helmeted Honeyeater is at the end of Giles Road. This is a small dirt road that runs east of the Yellingbo-Macclesfield Road about 5.5 km south of Yellingbo. There is a locked gate at the start of Giles Rd. Park your car here and walk to the end of the road where it reaches the boundary of the Nature Reserve. Enter the reserve and walk along the boundary track to the right. This is the best spot, altough they are very rare. I didnt found them here, but some friend sof mine succeeded here few weeks ago!

Good luck,

Justin