birding-aus

Mixed-species feeding flocks

Subject: Mixed-species feeding flocks
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:34:55 +1100
Hi all,

I'm a student who is looking at doing an honours project on mixed-species
feeding flocks.  I am wanting to know if anybody has ideas on potential sites
near Melbourne for this work to take place.  I am based in the northern suburbs
of Melbourne, and would prefer the sites to be within about 1-1.5 hours drive
of Bundoora.  Drier habitats are also preferable.  These mixed-species flocks
are made up of small passerines, and are typically 'driven' by core species
such as thornbills, and also usually contain species like whistlers,
pardalotes, honeyeaters, weebills and fantails.  Any thoughts about sites where
there are good numbers of these birds, and if anyone has noticed mixed flocks
over autumn/winter before, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dean Ingwersen