birding-aus

A days birding around Aireys Inlet

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A days birding around Aireys Inlet
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:26:48 +1100

Hi Birders,

What a wonderful thing is the combination of Birding Aus and the birders who post to it!

Armed with a bunch of information found by searching the archive and following a RFI direct to Peter Fuller, who responded most generously, my wife and I enjoyed a very productive couple of days at Aireys Inlet (1.5 hours drive SW of Melbourne).

A very early start in search of the rufous bristle bird on the cliff walk adjacent to the section of Eagle Rock Crescent east of the lighthouse failed to even produce the sound of a bristle bird after 3 hours! At the more civilised hour of 5:30 pm at Point Addis they were to be seen in abundance. We walked from the carpark to the beach in the afternoon sun and returned along a path that intersects the road close to a public toilet. Our first sighting was a brief glimpse of what was unquestionably an RBB on this track. Two more shot into the surrounding scrub and called vigorously as we walked onto a walkway beside the public toilet. Returning twenty minutes later we watched a RBB for some minutes as it foraged in a clearing behind the toilet. Driving out from the carpark we saw three bristlebirds beside the road ? one being obliging enough to cross the road in leisurely fashion 50 meters in front of our stationary car.

Sandwiched between the bristle bird hunts had been a nice viewing of two juvenile blue winged parrots sitting in full view on a wire fence beside the Anglesea coal mine; a wonderful and unexpected sighting of a Bassian Thrush from a couple of meters away in the garden of our B&B in Aireys inlet; and a pair of Hooded Plovers on the back beach of Point Roadknight.

Four ticks in a day thanks to Birding Aus.