birding-aus

JACK BARKLA - 701 and that is it

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, "Bird Observers Club of Australia" <>
Subject: JACK BARKLA - 701 and that is it
From: "John Barkla" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:44:30 +1100
It is with deep sadness that I advise my father, Jack, passed away yesterday at the age of 81.

After contracting encephalitis in his late 40's and with a medical prognosis that he had only a short time left, it was my joy to introduce Jack to birding.  Whilst reluctant at first, he came along "for the exercise", mostly on local strolls around the streets near his home and the occasional day trip to somewhere like the You Yangs.  For 5 or 10 years he built his strength and slowly, he took an interest in the birds.  Attempting to remember bird names was understandably difficult for him, and he spent most nights going over his Field Guides.  Over a period of more than 30 years, birds transformed and enriched the fabric of his life.  The culmination being when he achieved his passionate goal of seeing 700 species of birds in Australia.  He was particularly pleased to see number 701 - "in case I lose one with lumping".

I can say with absolute sincerity, that he was an old school gentleman and the relationship we had was special indeed.

Jack's funeral will be held at 2.30pm this Thursday (17th) at Tobin Bros, 816 Doncaster Road, Doncaster (on the corner of Darcy Street).  Full details will be in tomorrow's papers.

John Barkla