birding-aus

Re: A surfeit of weather (amphipods)

Subject: Re: A surfeit of weather (amphipods)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:30:18 +1100

Not bird related but Syd has today mentioned Australian amphipods (invertebrates).

In Victoria we have a suite of native amphipod species, some of which have been formally recognised as threatened and are on the list of threatened taxa under the Victorian Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act.

I have further information regarding the conservation of the following amphipod taxa should anyone be interested.

Austrogammarus australis - Dandenong Freshwater Amphipod
Austrogammarus haasei - Sherbrooke Amphipod

1. The Museum of Victoria has an interesting site on these fascinating little creatures, well worth a look:
http://www.mov.vic.gov.au/crust/amphigal.html

A quote from the site...'There are almost 200 families and tens of thousands of species of amphipods'

2. And also the Australian Museum in Sydney:
http://www.crustacea.net/crustace/amphipoda/aus_intro.htm

cheers, Martin