birding-aus

Newcastle area- part 3

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Newcastle area- part 3
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:55:20 +1100
Hi all

Last part !

Monday we left home at 7 A.M. to head up to Gloucester Tops. Just before
getting to Kerripit Road we found our next bird , a pair of Red-browed
Treecreepers. Also present were 2 Olive Whistlers. We spent 3 hours walking
the first part of Cares Trail but nary a Rufous Scrub-bird either called or
showed itself. When we returned to our car , a fellow birder we were meeting
up with had seen a Scrub-bird run behind the back of our car whilst he was
sitting waiting !! Needless to say we dipped on this bird, though nice to
see we provided someone else with a good sighting. A Crescent Honeyeater was
seen up here as well but surprisingly no Flame Robins which often show well
here. Rob , as well as seeing The Scrub-bird also saw a Satin Flycatcher
whilst waiting for us.

With no time to spare we headed back down to Gloucester  ( leaving Rob's car
here )and off to Harrington passing through very heavy rain on the way.
After a long drive we were itching to get out of the car and start birding
again , the rain had cleared and we were confident. There was not much in
the Rain Forest at Harrington at all and also very little fruit that I could
see. Lewins Honeyeater was common and the odd Figbird. A Varied Triller
showed briefly but no Fruit Doves or Regent Bowerbirds which were the ones
we particularly were hoping for. A group of Forest Ravens were around and
calling nicely for us. We also saw a Leaden Flycatcher back at the car.

We then headed up through Crowdy Bay National Park in search of the
White-eared Monarch. We had not heard of anyone having seen it since before
Christmas but we were optimistic. After 15 minutes of wandering around the
car park and up and down the road at the Figtree Picnic Area we were not so
confident as we had to leave to head back. Just as we were planning to get
back in the car we heard one and much to my relief it showed nicely allowing
some excellent extended looks and good photographs. I wasn't yet ready to
retire as a "Bird Guide"! Rob also saw a Brahminy Kite and a Spectacled
Monarch on a quick walk to the beach. We left in high spirits determined not
to let the inclement weather dampen our night of "Owling" on the way home.
We decided due to heavy rain during the day to not go back up to Sharpes
Creek Road as you cross several creeks and I was not keen to do it in the
rain and mist.

We opted for Copeland , just north of Gloucester, and arrived at the Gold
Mine Car Park just before dark . Whilst I was preparing spotlights for the
evening activities. Rob and Simon managed to see a female Regent Bowerbird
and new bird number 9 for Simon.
We decided to drive up the bitumen road and continue on above the Gold Mine
on the road to Scone . The mist got so bad  and all I could see were the
reflectors on the guide posts, so I decided to pull over and said this looks
like a good spot ! Several bats were flying around and Rob picked up an
Owlet Nightjar flying away from us.

With nothing calling we headed back down the road towards home and decided
to stop at each road side clearing where we could park off the road and try
again.
The first one we tried was immediately productive with Boobook Owl calling
as we got out of the car. Next minute we all got the fright of our lives as
a Sooty owl called within metres from us and low down. I had only done the "
falling bomb" call about 3 times ! Seeing it was another matter as it was in
a tree completely entangled with vines and no light was penetrating. The
next twenty minutes or so we tried to get good looks as two birds moved
around us. I only saw them as they crossed the road as dark shadows . There
were either 3 or 4 birds present as there were one or two calling from lower
down below us. By the behaviour and calls we surmised that the 2 kids were
"playing" and the parent/parents were trying to urge them to come home. We
also spotlighted Common Ringtail Possum and Koala here which was great for
our Dutch visitor.

Our next stop was also immediately productive after sitting out a heavy
shower of rain we were entertained by a Mask Owl calling in the distance and
then coming briefly closer but did not show. Feeling pretty satisfied with
ourselves we headed for home. Just before arriving home we saw a Tawny
Frogmouth on a fence post and at home I heard "our" Barn Owl calling during
the night. All in all a good night for birds.
The End

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW