birding-aus

WT Needletails and Wandering Tattlers

To: Birding Aus <>, Mike <>
Subject: WT Needletails and Wandering Tattlers
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:14:24 +1000
Unfortunately the high wind and large seas predicted scuttled the
plans for a Southport pelagic trip today, however a few of us went
down anyway to see what the high winds had stirred up off the coast.
The first stop at Hastings Point produced 5 Wandering Tattlers in
various stages of moult.  On the way to our next stop we witnessed a
massive column of White-throated Needletails - a loosely estimated
1000 individuals in many waves between Point Hastings and Tweed Heads.
 To me the spiralling columns of birds looked like the computer
generated images of tornados - simply breathtaking.  We also saw
Wedge-tailed and Short-tailed Shearwaters offshore, and of course
many, many Crested Terns.

On the way home I stopped by the Sherwood Arbouretum, however didn't
see anything particularly unusual.  Some close looks at Clamorous Reed
Warblers were nice though.

Regards,
Chris - Brisbane

/DIV>