birding-aus

New Holland Behaviour

To: <>
Subject: New Holland Behaviour
From: "Dean Cutten" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:39:43 -0600
Aus-Birders,

I have recently noticed some unusual behaviour of New Holland HE's towards
other breeding birds. In the first instance (which occurred before
Christmas) I spotted 2 New Hollands attacking a patially built Gray
Fantail's nest. These birds were intent on demolishing the nest before I
intervened. (The nest was in a shrub close to the house.) The Fantails were
not nearby when this occurred but continued on with the nest building. The
current event is that a group of New Hollands (~10) are hanging around a
White-naped HE's nest which has just been completed. I have seen these
groups on 3 occassions over the past 2 days. It appears the NHHE's are
mischief makers with one or two being the ringleaders and trying to
interfere with the nest. The White-naped's really go banana's trying to fend
off the intruders. As far as I know there are no nesting NHHEs around.

Has anyone else witnessed similar behaviour with NHHEs?

Dean Cutten
Victor Harbor, SA