birding-aus

A (great) Crake Day

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A (great) Crake Day
From: "Matthew Herring" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:59:12 +1100
G'day Folks,

I can't recall the last time i saw all three southern crakes - Spotted, Baillon's and Spotless - in the one day. Today was such a day.

As predicted, the Wonga Wetlands (Albury NSW) are starting to really hot up! I've just left there (because it got dark) after a 2 hour walk and sit-n'-watch with Dylan O'Donnell. We had 2 Spotless Crake and 1 Baillon's, so after getting Spotted there on Sunday (2/1/05) i now know all three are currently present. The most accessible crake hole is only about 200 metres from the education centre (on the Riverina Hwy where the big 'Wonga Wetlands' gates are). From the buildings cross the billabong (don't go through the Aborignal dwellings display), go past the Murray High School sign, then go right at the junction, then take the next left and the billabong on your left is the spot. The best area is the end furthest from the buildings where you can sit on the track and look at the edge that has Giant Rushes (Juncus ingens), Water Couch and mud. At other spots we saw 4 or 5 Latham's Snipe, 3 or 4 Azure Kingfishers and many of the others i reported a few days ago, as well as Mistletoebird, Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo, Straw-necked Ibis.

This morning Michael Ramsey and i had a couple of hours to the north of Albury at a privately owned irrigation storage dam. We easily found 3 Spotted and 1 Baillon's Crake, together with 1 Blue-billed Duck, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Musk Duck and various other waterbirds. The crakes were on a muddy edge with dense Water Couch and small Cumbungi thickets, very nice in the morning sun.

A great crake day! Regards, Matt Herring, Albury NSW.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.