birding-aus

2004 Retrospective and looking forward to 2005

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: 2004 Retrospective and looking forward to 2005
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:42:37 +1100

Hi Folks,

Happy new year, I hope it’s a birdy one.

2004 was not particularly birdy for me.  In 2003 I saw 394 birds including 101 ticks (not of the invertebrate type), however last year I managed only 194 birds and got no new ticks at all!  On reflection the reason was clearly that I was spending most of my spare time on Honours and had little time for anything else.

The up side was that I was studying the reasons that birds nest in mistletoe and my study area was a pretty special place.  I conducted my experiments at Morgan’s Ridge, a 2600 hectare patch of private land east of Holbrook in southern NSW.  The birds were great with Turquoise Parrots early in the year, a Barking Owl at the end and in between seven species of Robin (Flame, Scarlet, Eastern Yellow, Red-capped, Hooded, Rose Robin and Jacky Winter).  Other highlights were large numbers of Speckled Warbler and Painted Button-Quail and an Australian Owlet Nightjar.  While not in the national reserve system, much of this area is being responsibly and actively managed by the land-holders for its conservation value and they should be commended for such actions.

This year, being thrilled by my first foray into ecological research, I am undertaking a PhD at ANU.  I will be looking at the behavioural and more particularly the breeding ecology of Hooded Parrots.  We will probably spend this year in Canberra preparing the study before spending a couple of years in Darwin to undertake the fieldwork.  I’ve not been to Darwin and there are probably fifty birds there just waiting for me to twitch!

Therefore the Cooney’s are packing up and leaving Victoria and so to the second purpose of this email.  Before leaving these southern parts I have a bit of time this summer to knock off the twenty or so birds in Victoria that I haven’t yet seen.  I’ve missed Orange-bellied Parrots (again) but many of the others should be twitchable. The list follows and I would appreciate any specific information held by the collective wisdom of the Birding-Aus public.  I have general details for previous years from the Victorian Bird Report (still available if you’ve not got yours yet!), but would be interested in recent sightings with GPS locations.

Thanking you in anticipation of your assistance,

Stuart

January 2005 Target Birds:

Malleefowl

King Quail